Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Below Ground Zero: Ship Hull Found Underneath Remains of World Trade Center

Earlier this week, archeologists working at Ground Zero - actually below Ground Zero - made a startling discovery. One of the archeologists, whose firm has been retained to observe construction at and underneath Ground Zero, spotted two large, curved pieces of wood sticking out of the muddy pit about 20 feet below ground level. The discoverer and her colleagues then worked together to unearth the find and raise it out of the pit.

What they uncovered was a 32 foot long wooden ship's hull, which may have belonged to a ship which last sailed in the 1700s. Then, only a few yards away, an iron ship's anchor weighing approximately 100 pounds was found. (It is not known if the anchor belonged to the same ship as the hull.)

Upon hearing about this, many person's first reaction is "Wow!" followed quickly by "How the heck did that happen?" Given the nature of our society, there may even be those who weave these findings into their conspiracy theories concerning 9-11 and the World Trade Center. However, experts believe that the ship hull was used in the early 1800s as part of a land-fill effort.

Like the original topography of numerous other prominent American cities (including Boston and Chicago), Manhattan was only able to expand by creating dry land where none existed. As the island of Manhattan began to become more crowded, portions of the Hudson River were filled over to create more dry land and increase the size of Manhattan. The ship's hull discovered this week was likely from an outdated or damaged ship which was used to help fill in land in lower Manhattan about the year 1810.