Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Today's Tech Tip for Lawyers and Normal People - Taming Multiple Word Docs, Spreadsheets

Today's Tech Tip for Lawyers and Normal People - Taming Multiple Word Docs, Spreadsheets


 


Too many windows! We all have too many dang windows open! I mean computer windows, of course. One contribution to taming the monster of windows run amuck while using MS Office Products? Office Tabs. I've just installed it. I've just shown it to my wife (an Excel maniac). We are both immediately convinced it's a good thing.


This handy plug in creates a new tab within Word, Excel, Powerpoint for each document/book/slide instead of a new "window". Until I became aware of Office Tabs, it never even occurred to me to wonder why Office 2010 doesn't function the way the more recent versions of windows and browsers do - by creating new tabs. This is free for non-commercial use. The paid version has additional functions. See the screenshot below (click image to enlarge):



Word to the wise: make sure you install the correct version. I have a 64 bit Windows system, but for some reason my MS Office 2010 is 32 bit. Also, if you install but Office Tabs isn't functioning, go to File - Options - Add Ins within your MS Office product and ensure that the Office Tabs Add In (plug in) is enabled. Good luck!